The weekend of the 4th of July is usually one that every Rwandan looks forward to, for it is not only a reminder of the great struggle that got this nation liberated, it’s also looked at as a turning point for Rwanda’s direction.
As we celebrated 21 years of being liberated, thousands of Rwandans thronged the national stadium for the final of this year’s Peace cup football tournament, a tournament that in every aspect had been called a success by the current football administration and as one who gives credit where it’s due the 2015 peace cup was a step in the right direction (football pitch) for the Rwanda football fraternity but it’s aftermath seems to blanket all these positives.
In the week leading up to the Peace cup final, the Federation of Rwanda football association (FERWAFA) President Vincent Nzamwita decided (i use decided because the needed stakeholders were not consulted) that revenue from the final day’s gate collections would be shared on a 20/20/20/20/10/10 format. Meaning that the four teams playing on the day will share 80% of the day’s earnings while FERWAFA and the ministry of Sports and culture will share the remaining 20% equally.
Well, let me not dwell on the issue that the needed stakeholders were not consulted which in itself shows the reason for so many wrongs in the way footballand sport in general are run in this country but i want to point out the scam, theft regarding the declared earnings from the day.
As i’m writing this post, the federation had told the football clubs that they each will receive rwf 3.5 million as their 20 percent share from the day, 3.5!!!
It does not need one to be a qualified mathematician to notice that if each club was to be receive frw 3.5 million that will equate to a meare frw 14 million thus further stating that 14 million is 80 percent of the total gate collection thus implying that the total revenue from the day’s ticket sales was only FRW 17.5 million? NHAAA??
For anyone reading this, 17.5 million might look like much but the numbers don’t add up and as a student of economics this is why…
On the day of the finals, tickets were being sold for 1000, 3000, 5000 and 10000 for the VIP section. With majority of those in the VIP section having been invited by the federation and the ministry hardly any tickets were sold for that section so we are going to ignore that bit.
The Amahoro stadium sit’s 30,000 people and let’s assume that 10,000 tickets were given out free of charge,lol a whole 10,000. Well we all know that know one can give out 10,000 free tckets more so that the VIP section can only sit 1000 people but then i tend to give people a benefit of doubt.
So that leaves 20,000 tickets having been sold off, for anyone who was at the stadium on Saturday , one could easily have noticed that angry streams of fans outside the stadium complaining at the lack of tickets as all match tickets had been sold off.
Now back to this 20,000 tickets (very laughable), if i take the lowest ticket cost which was 1000 for every ticket sold to the 20000 people, a total of frw 20 million should have been collected, again you don’t need to be a mathematician.
So how does the federation come up with this 17.5 million figure? Well one would think that maybe some of the amount went towards stadium maintenance or possible advertising for the matches but none of that was done.
When it comes to stadium maintenance, the 10 percent fee paid to the Ministry covers the stadium maintenance charges again leaving the federation with no cost fees.
So why do Nzamwita and co claim that only 17.5 million francs was collected on the day? Or are they telling us that only 17,500 fans were at the stadium? Your guess is as good as mine.